For whatever reason, transitions such as job loss, divorce, saving for retirement, natural disasters, or just wanting a change of pace, you would like to be paid for your services.
The fundamentals of being a paid house sitter, are the same, as those using house sitting as a trade for accomodation.
Here's the 5 first steps to becoming a paid house sitter:
1. Take on a couple of house sits for someone you know..to test the waters. This is very important as you will learn if you have the attributes for house sitting. You will be alone most of the time. Hopefully, you love animals as they may be sleeping with you. Are you feeling comfortable in a home that is not yours? You are responsible for keeping the place clean and picked up. This really is the only way to know if you have what it takes and if you will like it.
2. Do your research. Go online and you will see there is a community of house sitters and homeowners looking for each other. It is endless. Once you have done this, you will know more or less, if house sitting may be something that would work for you and meet your needs at this time in your life.
3. Put yourself out there as a house sitter. Start letting people know you want to house sit. Tell everyone you know. Word of mouth is the best! Put an ad on Craigslist in your area. My book is full of the how to's for posting an effective ad on Craiglist.
4. Sit down and work the numbers..make it a win/win for both you and the homeowners. Be confident in you and the service you provide. Know that what you do is a valuable service. People who call will be asking you what you charge so be ready with an answer that works for you both.
5. Be ready for calls..know yourself and your limits. You will get many characters calling you with different situations and not every call will work for you. There are many aspects of house sitting. Trust your instincts! The little voice knows best!
I hope this helps in getting you started..my guide book is filled with the details..this is only a preview..