Wednesday, April 2, 2014

We want YOU to be our House Sitter!

I got the call on my drive home. I was house sitting 10 minutes from the house sit interview location so it took less than that for the homeowners to decide they wanted me to be their house sitter.

During the housesit home interview, the homeowners more than once, said they were impressed at how detailed, organized and prepared I was. Previous house sitters had never pulled out the packet of forms and questionnaires, they said. I explained why this is necessary for me to be the best house sitter for them. I need to know all of the details. Mind you, the forms and questionnaires I have are in a very simplified form. I do not like things complicated.

They also said they were interviewing more than one house sitter but didn't bring it up until the end of the interview. I always know that's a possibility. I'm hearing it more than not. House sitting is gaining popularity and becoming somewhat competitive. You are competing against house sitters who do not want or care to be paid for their services. Knowing this information, you really have to bring your talents and skills forward and be different from everyone else.

After going through some of the forms with the homeowners, I pulled out an envelope full of referral letters. I was quiet and just let them read. Again, they were happy. At this point you are answering their questions before they even ask.

The house sit was not planned for another 3 months. When this happens, you ask for a deposit to hold their spot. The homeowners asked when I needed to know their answer. I had just gotten another call for that same time period and I was supposed to call the gal back if this house sit didn't work out so 'as soon as they knew,' was my answer. I ask for half deposit but you can decide for yourself what you think is fair for both you and the homeowner. Then explain that the balance is due on the first day of the house sit.

Here's a list of 3 reasons why you will stand out from the crowd:

1. Be prepared with simple forms and give the answers before they even ask the questions.

2. Ask for referral letters from everyone you house sit for. If you are new at this, have referrals from friends who love you, landlords who can vouch for you, and co-workers who will call you a team player. Be armed with letters and phone numbers of good reviews from others.

3. In this case, there was a sense of urgency, since I was getting calls for that same time period and I was upfront about it.

THE MERMAID'S GUIDE TO HOUSE SITTING which you can purchase on this site through Amazon, is chock full of the details that would help you to stand out and be different and be the best house sitter in your town or anywhere in the world. I have included forms and questionnaires as well. You can edit them as you wish.

I wish you all the best and have fun with it. Aloha






No comments:

Post a Comment